Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from August 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am a 25 year old newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Occasionally, I like to have a few cocktails. I know that this can cause hypoglycemia. I just want to know if 1 serving of alcohol can be balanced out with 1 serving of carbohydrate to prevent a hypoglycemic incident. (31 Aug 1999)

2. I'm looking for alternative therapies/treatment for the onset of adult type 1 diabetes. (31 Aug 1999)

3. Why does Cygnus describe their perhaps soon-to-be-FDA-approved GlucoWatch as something available to "adults 18 and over" with diabetes? Why this seemingly arbitrary stipulation? (31 Aug 1999)

4. My sister's son was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Later, my sister contacted a Homeopathic doctor. He told her that there is cure in Homeopathic medicine for diabetes. Is there any situation where the pancreas stops working temporarily and will start working later? (31 Aug 1999)

5. I have a 3 year old daughter who was diagnosed 1.5 years ago. We were using a meter, but were told that the machine is inconsistent so we now use a different machine. Have you heard information on the reliability of meters? (30 Aug 1999)

6. My 14 year old son with Type 1 diabetes will be going on a school trip soon. He will be traveling by bus and staying in motels for five days. I am concerned about keeping his insulin cool. (30 Aug 1999)

7. My four year old son recently started urinating quite frequently. He also drinks a lot of fluids, like juice, soda, and water. He sometimes complains about his leg being stiff or hurting. Do you think I should be concerned and have him checked for diabetes or do you think it is nothing to worry about? (30 Aug 1999)

8. My nephew is 19 and has had diabetes since he was 12. The problem is that he doesn't take very good care of himself. He is very skinny and takes laxatives about every day. After he eats he either vomits or he is constantly in the bathroom. (30 Aug 1999)

9. My sister has been scheduled for a second ultrasound due to her baby's weight. We don't know whether it's a mix-up on how far along she is, or if the baby is a diabetic. What does this mean for the baby and the pregnancy? (30 Aug 1999)

10. I was just reading all of the questions on alternative treatments for diabetes and am kind of disappointed in the fact that the answers seem to discount the possibilities of natural remedies. (30 Aug 1999)

11. I have a five year old son who has experienced several of the noted symptoms of DKA. Over the last two years he is always having headaches, recently over the last three weeks he has started vomiting from time to time. Would a urine test confirm the existence of DKA? (30 Aug 1999)

12. My 4 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 21 months old. We frequently have to give a second shot about 3 hours after a high fat meal to bring his blood sugar into acceptable range. Can you offer an alternative injection strategy for dealing with fatty foods? How about a mixed shot of Regular insulin and Humalog? (30 Aug 1999)

13. I am 25 and was just diagnosed with Type 1 a month ago. I am really scared about the potential long-term effects of diabetes. I have become obsessed with testing myself at least 12 times a day. Should I stop? (30 Aug 1999)

14. I'm 16 years old and, I've had diabetes for awhile. I'm still not under control. I've done nothing right at all and I'm starting to scare myself. (28 Aug 1999)

15. Our 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 5 months ago. Do you know of any research which suggests that an insulin pump can extend the honeymoon? (28 Aug 1999)

16. Why isn't insulin pump therapy being more aggressively pursued by doctors and insurance companies? (28 Aug 1999)

17. Your response to the woman who was taking her child to the chiropractor was rather closed-minded. I know that my quality of living has been drastically improved by receiving Chiropractic and Medical care at the same time. (28 Aug 1999)

18. I am a mother of a 9 month old baby, and not for diabetic reasons but for other health reasons I have to exclude sugar from my diet. My baby is breastfed and I want to know what artificial sweeteners I can use safely with regard to my baby's health as well as to my own. (28 Aug 1999)

19. Have there ever been any studies done to connect the diagnosis of mononucleosis and type 1 diabetes? (28 Aug 1999)

20. I am 16 years old and have had diabetes for two years. My problem is that I have low blood sugar from 11:00 to 12:00 and high blood sugar in the evening. What should I do? (28 Aug 1999)

21. I read something in the paper about seizure dogs the other day and am now trying to find out more. I know they are for epileptics, but wouldn't it be great if a dog could be trained to alert parents when the child is acting oddly from low blood sugar? (28 Aug 1999)

22. My son was diagnosed 2 months ago. He is 7 years old. His blood sugar readings have been sporadic and it doesn't seem as if we can get control. He takes 8-9 units of 70/30 with breakfast and 3 units of the same insulin with dinner. Do you have any suggestions? (28 Aug 1999)

23. Our son is 8 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years. About a year ago, he had his first seizure. Since that time we have had a hard time controlling his blood sugar. In the last month he has had three more seizures. Since the last seizure, he has been diagnosed as having a seizure disorder. (28 Aug 1999)

24. My son has had diabetes since he was one year old; he is now 4. His last A1c was 6.9. We have been told keeping a child of his age within target ranges is not an easy task. (28 Aug 1999)

25. I am a South African and am planning on travelling to Australia for a six month working/back-packing holiday. My wife and I will not be on a medical aid. We would like to know where I can get insulin from and how much it will cost per month. (27 Aug 1999)

26. In order to qualify for the CDE designation, must you have a Bachelor's degree? I am currently going to get my RN next summer and I should have my LPN here in a month. (27 Aug 1999)

27. In many of the diabetic products, the label states that there is no sugar but right below it says sugar alcohol. What is sugar alcohol and how much can a person with diabetes have? (27 Aug 1999)

28. Our 3 year old son has had type 1 since he was 18 months. He used to show signs of hypo when his blood sugar was below 60. Lately he has been behaving normally between 30 and 40. He would just look a little tired. (27 Aug 1999)

29. My 6.5 year old takes 2 injections a day of Regular, Lente and Ultralente. The shots are given at 6:45 A.M. and 5:35 P.M. Her night time snack is at 8 P.M. At approximately 9 P.M., she sometimes feels low and is. Why would this be happening: there is no insulin peaking at that time? (27 Aug 1999)

30. My daughter is 9 years old. She was diagnosed with Type 1 slightly over a year ago. In the past year, her blood sugar was good, till last month her blood sugar was from 200 to 400 for a month. (26 Aug 1999)

31. I am a 38 year old female. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one month ago. How common is it for a woman my age to get type 1 diabetes? (26 Aug 1999)

32. My six year old daughter has been diabetic since the age of two. I seem to remember that there is a certain number of carbs that it covered by a unit of insulin. I have searched through my own information as well as that on the web and can't seem to find the ratio anywhere. (26 Aug 1999)

33. Our newborn nephew weighing 5 pounds 8 ounces), was put on a drip to raise his blood sugar level. We were wondering if this could be a sign of diabetes or if this was a common thing with newborn babies. (26 Aug 1999)

34. I have had diabetes type 1 (IDDM) since I was 13 years old. I am now 30 years old. I have had some hypoglycemic shocks during nights. Are there any machines or alarms that I could use or connect to my body to check my blood glucose and to inject glucagon (if there is a severe hypoglycemia) when I am sleeping? (26 Aug 1999)

35. A friend told me they had seen on a TV news article about a monitor that could tell if a diabetic had low blood sugar. In the news article, a small girl wears the monitor and when the teacher would notice the monitor is low, they would get the girl a snack. (25 Aug 1999)

36. My two year old son was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Since then we have had relatively "good" control of it. This last month however he has started to trend high. Are complications due to high blood sugars in the short term, or do they have to be like that many years? (25 Aug 1999)

37. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 19 months old. Recently he has been complaining that his stomach hurts but no other symptoms. My husband is concerned that he may have a problem that he had read about a long time ago in a Diabetes Forecast article. (25 Aug 1999)

38. I've been reading many of the previously asked questions recently to understand why my daughter's readings fluctuate so much. I just read that a sliding scale shouldn't be used. (25 Aug 1999)

39. I have recently relocated to Iowa and am changing doctors. When I made an appointment with a Family Practice doctor, they scheduled me for lab work. I was asked to fast for a hemoglobin A1c. Can you tell me why this is important or necessary? (25 Aug 1999)

40. Is it okay to use different brands of insulin together when preparing a mixed dose of R and N? (24 Aug 1999)

41. As a parent of two diabetics, I can easily smell if either of my children has ketones from their breath. Can the diabetic taste the ketones? (24 Aug 1999)

42. My 17 month old niece was diagnosed 5 months ago. I need to know how many carbohydrate grams she is allowed to have in one day. (24 Aug 1999)

43. I am the mother of a 9 year old boy who has been challenged with insulin dependent diabetes for the past 2 years. My question is regarding the initial diagnosis. Wouldn't this be a good time to profile the children with this disease (say with an extensive questionnaire) to help find common denominators that might contribute to getting this disease? (24 Aug 1999)

44. My 4 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 eight months ago. We are constantly making adjustments to his insulin regimen. His daily blood glucose can easily swing from 40 to the 500's. What are the effects of these swings on him and what can be done to help reduce them? (24 Aug 1999)

45. My son is 12 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago. My question concerns diet. We count carbohydrates and his insulin is based on this. I want to know if I should be a little more concerned about the types of foods he eats as long as his blood sugar is under control. (24 Aug 1999)

46. My teenage son, a type 1 diabetic for 2 years, recently failed a breathalyzer test for alcohol. His blood sugars had been very high for several days before the test and his reading at the time of the test was 383. Could he have failed the test due to acetone in his breath? (24 Aug 1999)

47. I have been to the doctor, and I was diagnosed with diabetes. He told me there were three different types that I might have but didn't explain them in detail. Could you please give me some information about each of the three please? (22 Aug 1999)

48. I recently found out my five year old has Type 1. I would like to go back to college to learn as much as possible in the area of diabetes research in order to devote myself in helping find a cure. Any help would be appreciated. (22 Aug 1999)

49. My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, however, doctors are unsure whether or not he is Type 1 or Type 2. He is 21 years old, and had a grandfather who died of complications from Type 2. Please give me your opinion of what type you think he may be. (22 Aug 1999)

50. I read an article recently about a cell replacement operation that was performed on Jackie Warren Demijohn. This operation used some new techniques. Do you have any recent information as to how Jackie is going nearly one year after her operation? (22 Aug 1999)

51. Are there any special risks to a child born after the mother has developed adult onset diabetes? I'm 27 and just found out that my mother developed diabetes a year or so before I was born. (22 Aug 1999)

52. My 13 year old son was having chest pains, excessive thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, headaches, sleepy and tired all the time. Everything was fine except his white blood count was low. The doctor took him off sugar and all the symptoms went away. (22 Aug 1999)

53. I am a 41 year old female, and have had diabetes Type 2 for sometime now. In the last 3 months my A1c has been 7.7. I am presently taking Rezulin and Amaryl (medications for Type 2 diabetes). My doctor wants to put me on insulin soon. What do you think? (22 Aug 1999)

54. My niece is 7 and was diagnosed with diabetes last summer. In the past couple weeks her blood sugar is dropping dramatically during the night. They have been in touch with their doctor who changed their bedtime routine but they have heard of something call "NiteBite bars" and would like to know if anyone has heard of them. (22 Aug 1999)

55. How dangerous is it to get pregnant and be diabetic? Can it be done safely without harm to the baby? What is the best glucose range to maintain during pregnancy? (22 Aug 1999)

56. My son is 5 and we are interested in the pump. Our endocrinologist does not want the pump until my son can do it himself. This seems to be the answer given to other people on this site who ask the same question. If I am already handling all aspects of his diabetes care, why does he have to do the pump and not me? (22 Aug 1999)

57. My 4 1/2 years old's blood sugar goes low rapidly overnight and I don't understand why. What should we do to keep it outside danger zone all through the night? (17 Aug 1999)

58. I am looking for anyone who has or has had thickening tendons. (17 Aug 1999)

59. I am 25 years old and 37 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a week ago. Since I am so close to delivery now, how much good can changing my diet do now? (17 Aug 1999)

60. What research has been done on long term effects of diabetes? I've had diabetes for 30 years this year. (17 Aug 1999)

61. I'm a 29 year black female who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about two months ago. Why do I feel hunger most of the time? (17 Aug 1999)

62. I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Assuming tight control, how likely am I to develop complications and how long am I expected to live? (17 Aug 1999)

63. Can you tell me what diseases or conditions can be misdiagnosed as Type 1 diabetes? (15 Aug 1999)

64. My 13 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes six monthes ago. He is doing a good job of taking his shots and watching his diet (most of the time). He seems to be having a problem accepting the diabetes in that he doesn't want to talk about it. (15 Aug 1999)

65. I am not a child but a female, age 59. I have been sort of borderline diabetic for several years. I am on no medication for this. I had blood work done several days ago, and had a call from the diabetic educator today saying that my glycosylated hemoglobin is up and we need to do something about it. (15 Aug 1999)

66. I have a 6 year old in my life that has type 1. There are significant people in his life that feed him sugar (candy bars, powdered donuts, etc.) on a daily basis. I am concerned about the long term effects of their actions on his health. (15 Aug 1999)

67. My daughter, 7, was diagnosed over a year ago with Type 1. She has experienced hypoglycemic episodes mainly in the middle of the night. She wakes up shaking, jerking, mouth almost shut tight. I am very concerned about this. How do you suggest I ask her doctor to help me? (15 Aug 1999)

68. What is considered too low for a blood sugar reading? (14 Aug 1999)

69. What should an insulin dependent 7 year old who has been diagnosed for 3 years eat for breakfast? (14 Aug 1999)

70. My 15 year old daughter is overweight and my husband has Type 1 diabetes. I took my daughter to the doctor and they noticed a skin discoloration in the skin on her knees, behind her neck and under her arms. The doctor mentioned that she was making too much insulin. Now we are checking for diabetes. (14 Aug 1999)

71. Do the newest guidelines for the diagnosis of diabetes apply to children as well as adults? At what age can the adult criteria be applied to adolescents? (14 Aug 1999)

72. My grandson, age 16, has had diabetes for 4 years. Now he has an eating disorder (bulimea) which is throwing his blood sugar level way off. Recently, his behavior has really been thrown off. There does not seem to be answers out there for this combination. (14 Aug 1999)

73. What type of food is healthy and not healthy with respect to diabetes? (14 Aug 1999)

74. I know a 4 year old with Downs Syndrome and IDDM who drinks 3-4 bottles of milk each day. What effect does that have on blood sugars and what can a child with IDDM drink? (14 Aug 1999)

75. My son has had Type 1 diabetes for two years. Since that time he has found it hard to have any drive. The high school he is attending wants to keep him back because of excessive absences (25). (14 Aug 1999)

76. I have a 10 year old son with diabetes. He experiences rebounds in the afternoons. I feel this is because of his inability to recognize low blood sugar condition. Could you please send me some information? (14 Aug 1999)

77. I have had type 2 diabetes for four years. My average reading dropped from 8.0 to 6.5 from then to now by diet, minor exercises and Chinese medicine. Although my average reading is fine, my dawn phenomenon (around 140 to 160) still bothers me some of mornings. Would you give me a suggestion of what I might do? (14 Aug 1999)

78. Do you ever find people who do better on Regular than Humalog? (13 Aug 1999)

79. What do you think about the new "strips" which read for lab equivalent results, and not whole blood? (13 Aug 1999)

80. I'm 14 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 7 years. Lately at school I've been thirsty. The clinic has lowered my insulin by several units. How come I am so thirsty? (13 Aug 1999)

81. I am a 43 year old Type 1 diabetic. A friend told me she read somewhere that there is a new treatment being developed which involves wearing a patch on the skin. Do you know anything about this patch? (13 Aug 1999)

82. I am a 28 year old woman currently 16 weeks pregnant with my third child. About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with "mild PCOS". I am curious if this puts me at a greater risk for gestational diabetes? (13 Aug 1999)

83. My granddaughter was diagnosed 16 months ago. Her current insulin requirement is 5 units/day. Therefore, she must still be making some endogenous insulin. When I suggested the partial endogenous mechanism to my daughter-in-law she seemed incredulous. (13 Aug 1999)

84. I have a 1 year old daughter. I had gestational diabetes and my father was diagnosed around the age of 15 months old with juvenile diabetes. I am concerned that my daughter may have symptoms of diabetes. (13 Aug 1999)

85. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes several weeks ago. I am almost certain that my child is lactose intolerant. How much does this affect her blood sugar levels and the way insulin works for her? (13 Aug 1999)

86. Is there any statistical survey or data to determine if the use of pre-mixed insulins with pens makes any difference in the blood sugar control in comparison with the self-mixed insulins? (13 Aug 1999)

87. My husband is 31 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 5 years ago. He is currently on an insulin pump and is also taking Glucophage. I've been trying to find information on Glucophage and its use in Type 1 diabetes treatment to see the pros and cons. (13 Aug 1999)

88. Is it true that the child can eat all kinds of food and I can simply increase the dose for her without any complication? (13 Aug 1999)

89. My 10 year daughter has had approximately 8-9 seizures in the last 4-5 years. At the start, she was not diabetic. After the first 2 seizures, she was put on Tegretol because of a perceived seizure disorder. Later she developed diabetes. How low does blood sugar need to be to cause a seizure? (13 Aug 1999)

90. My son is a 5 year old Type 1 Diabetic and was diagnosed at the age of 4. Do you have any information on the benefits of Vitamin O? (13 Aug 1999)

91. There's diabetes in our family. How are we going to be able to prevent our other family members from getting diabetes? (13 Aug 1999)

92. My 7 year old son has had fluctuating blood sugars for 3 years now. Lately he has been running low, 30 to 40. In the past two months, we have had 4 episodes of low sugars. In the past two months, we have had 4 episodes of low sugars, swelling of lymph nodes in armpit and groin, night sweats, etc. Any ideas? (13 Aug 1999)

93. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 15 years ago. I have been seriously thinking about trying metformin. (11 Aug 1999)

94. My daughter was diagnosed as having diabetes 1 about 3 years ago. Up until recently her control was excellent. She was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 2 months ago and since then she has suffered almost continually from very high glucose readings which have led to ketones and 6 periods of hospitalization in as many weeks. (11 Aug 1999)

95. Friends of ours have an 11 year old son who has type 1 diabetes. My son, also 11, has had diabetes for just over 2 years. Over the past 6 months he has dropped close to 15 lbs. It is as though he is wasting away. (11 Aug 1999)

96. Several months ago our son had two teeth filled at the dentist and received several units of a local freezing compound called Articaine. We had asked the dentist if this compound was safe for diabetes and he assured us it was. (11 Aug 1999)

97. What is the current status or recommendations of therapy with lipid lowering agents in children and in children with diabetes? (11 Aug 1999)

98. My 11 year old son has had diabetes for 6 years. He recently had a severe seizure in the middle of the night. This has never happened before. His body was contorting and he was frothing at the mouth for about 30 seconds. (11 Aug 1999)

99. My 14 year old son was recently diagnosed with diabetes. The doctor is not sure about the type. Can it be Type IB (MODY) and if it is what is the prognosis? (11 Aug 1999)

100. I am a 28 year old male with diabetes for about 20 years. Recently, I have been passing out (3 seizures in the past 2 weeks) in the morning shortly after waking, even though my blood sugars have been as high as 130 prior to passing out. (11 Aug 1999)

101. My dad (80) takes two types of insulin morning and night by injection. His sugar level has started to rise and fall on its own within hours. He don't know when to give the shots. It's out of control. What's the reason? (11 Aug 1999)

102. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 years ago. She has intermittent bouts of non-compliance. This past week, she was in the ER for ketoacidosis. We don't have money for counseling, have insurance but pays very minimal for counseling. (11 Aug 1999)

103. My 3 year old granddaughter was just diagnosed. She has always been prone to extreme stubbornness and tantrums. Since we found out that she is diabetic it seems that the mood swings have compounded. Is this a common behavior with diabetes? (9 Aug 1999)

104. I have a 9 year old daughter diagnosed 8 months ago. We have had much difficulty controlling her sugars. We have been trying to get her morning fasting sugars to a reasonable level but find that 6.5 units makes her low in the night with rebound and 6 units gives her too high of a morning sugar. (9 Aug 1999)

105. I have a friend with diabetes who has been struggling with weight problems his entire life. I was wondering if you could direct me to any resources for youth with diabetes dealing specifically with weight control. (7 Aug 1999)

106. My son was diagnosed with diabetes two months ago. At first his blood glucose levels were high but stabilized. However, the past three days his blood glucose level has increased in the evenings. Could it be possible the higher levels and his allergies are related? (7 Aug 1999)

107. My brother is 17. He was diagnosed with diabetes last year. He can't keep his blood sugar from being high. The problem is his diet: he's a fussy eater; he don't like any vegetables except corn. Do you have any suggestions? (7 Aug 1999)

108. My 22 year old daughter, diagnosed as type 1 diabetes 11 years ago, recently delivered her first baby. During the pregnancy she had several episodes of low blood sugar with seizures. I'm curious about just how bad can a low blood sugar get and what resuscitation is necessary. (7 Aug 1999)

109. My 12 year old daughter has been type 1 for 1 1/2 years. Recently, on the day she received a tetanus shot along with the 1st of her hepatitis B series, she developed stomach pains which lasted for 7 days. Could it be possible that one of these immunizations gave her stomach problems? (7 Aug 1999)

110. How do doctors tell if someone has actual diabetes as opposed to transient hyperglycemia? What tests are performed? How routine is antibody testing? (7 Aug 1999)

111. My 14 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She often refuses to check her blood sugar or let me check it for her. She says she would rather die than have to check her blood sugar daily or take insulin. (7 Aug 1999)

112. I recently read a story about a 14 year old girl who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Soon after being diagnosed she went to an Institute in California. She went on a special diet and exercise program and has been able to maintain a glucose level between 80-110 without taking any insulin shots. (7 Aug 1999)

113. Is Glucagel as effective as a using injectable glucagon in the event of a child having a hypoglycemic seizure? My HMO has dropped Glucagon Emergency Kits from its formulary. (6 Aug 1999)

114. My sixteen year old son has diabetes and PKU, therefore his diet is very difficult. His blood sugar levels are up and down with no certain trend. I would appreciate any information from anyone with these two diseases. (6 Aug 1999)

115. My nephew is 21 years old. He has Type 1. He is in my care, and he is currently hospitalized for DKA. He is in total denial. He is hospitalized 3 to 4 times a year for DKA. I am in desperate need of counseling for this young man. (6 Aug 1999)

116. Do allergy symptoms cause an increase in blood sugars? (6 Aug 1999)

117. I would like to know about the use of sodium insulin in children. I would like to know how it can be used for adults, also. (6 Aug 1999)

118. My son has had diabetes for a year and a half. We count carbohydrates for each meal and snack. I have notices that certain foods will raise my son's blood sugar, even if I count out the correct serving. An example is corn chips. Why is this? (2 Aug 1999)

119. I am a 64 year-old woman. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes eight months ago. I would like to know what kind of alcohol I could drink (scotch, vodka, etc.). (2 Aug 1999)

120. I eat boxes of uncooked corn starch. I have not been able to find a doctor to isolate my problem. Can you offer any assistance? (2 Aug 1999)

121. I am 65 years old. I was diagnosed with diabetes Type 2 four years ago. My blood sugar levels continue to rise and my endocrinologist seems puzzled. My blood sugar readings now are almost always over 200. Should I be concerned? (2 Aug 1999)

122. My daughter is almost 12 and was diagnosed at 16 months. Though she frequently has high/fluctuating blood sugars, she rarely shows ketones on ketone strips. Why would she not show ketones when her sugars are high? (2 Aug 1999)

123. I would like to know how much an insulin pump costs. I know how to count calories. I take four shots a day already. (2 Aug 1999)

124. My 4 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 21 months old. We use a combination of Humalog and NPH in 4 to 6 injections a day. Can you offer an alternative injection strategy for dealing with fatty foods? (2 Aug 1999)

125. What do you think of using the pump for an eight year old diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two months ago? (1 Aug 1999)

126. We have a nine year old son with Type 1 diabetes. We are considering an insulin pump. We've read that pumps are used by some children and that excellent parental support is required. What else can you tell us regarding the pros and cons of using a pump for a young child? (1 Aug 1999)

127. My nine and half year old son has had diabetes for three years. He is interested in the pump but his doctor does not put kids younger than 11 years old on the pump. Should I fight for him getting a pump? (1 Aug 1999)

128. I have Type 1 Diabetes and use an insulin pump. How would I go about bolusing for alcohol? (1 Aug 1999)

129. Are non-US nationals eligible for the DPT-1 study? (1 Aug 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts