Question:

From Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA:

One of my colleagues at work has a nephew in Sri Lanka with childhood onset of diabetes (age 2-3 when diagnosed), who is now age 12, and has been on and off insulin. The child's grandmother has Type 2 diabetes. It sounds to me like the child has either Type 1B or Type 2 diabetes.

Are there immunologic or other markers that might be done in Sri Lanka, or if the nephew visits the US, on the child or his siblings, that would clarify the diagnosis?

Are non-US nationals eligible for the DPT-1 study?

Answer:

Non-nationals are indeed eligible for DPT-1 as long as they are available for further testing if they are ICA positive. Testing, staging and randomization is done at sites in the US and Canada only. Canada is fairly new in the DPT-1 family.

I am at the DPT-1 Steering Committee Meeting as I write this, and a friend who is on the Eligibility Committee says, "Anyone can participate in the trial as long as they are available for all study visits." These visits are every six months, more frequent in the beginning at staging and randomization.

HVS

DTQ-ONCND19990801