Question:

From Indiana, USA:

My sixteen year old son has diabetes and PKU, therefore his diet is very difficult. His blood sugar levels are up and down with no certain trend. I would appreciate any information from anyone with these two diseases.

Answer:

My understanding of the PKU diet is that you must avoid foods high in phenalanine, primarily milk containing foods. The diet for folks with diabetes is much less restrictive and you shouldn't feel that the diabetes diet restricts most foods: in general, eating a balanced meal and eliminating "liquid sugar", which is real soda pop and juices, should keep the blood glucose levels doing well.

If you haven't had a chance to work with a dietitian who is a Certified Diabetes Educator you should ask for a referral so that your family can learn about healthy eating (and possibly carbohydrate counting) so that your son can make the most of his diet with the PKU limitations.

VV

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other Illnesses