Question:

From Sonoma, California, USA:

My 14 year old daughter was recently (2 weeks ago) diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She often refuses to check her blood sugar or let me check it for her. She says she would rather die than have to check her blood sugar daily or take insulin. She is also legally blind, hearing impaired, has ADHD and other learning disabilities. She says that this is the straw that broke the camel's back and she is not willing to deal with any more problems. What can I do? Is there a book you can recommend for dealing with this type of problem?

Answer:

I don't think a book is the answer. Please try to find a counselor with a background in chronic disease management and take your child for assistance. Her anger at the diabetes and her feelings of helplessness in the face of so many issues signal the need for therapy.

You are your child's best advocate! Do not rest until you find the right person to help navigate these stormy feelings.

CMB

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

I agree with Craig's comments. There are a few books that may help a bit. I'd suggest you look at Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. and Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin.

WWQ

Posted to Behavior