From Madrid, Spain:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. She then had a cholesterol of 301 mg/dl. I have now repeated it (4 months after diagnosis) and it still is 250 mg/dl. What is the current status or recommendations of therapy with lipid lowering agents in children and in children with diabetes? Should I wait before starting such therapy? Her diet includes about 26% fat. Should I lower it?

I would certainly look at family history in addition to the actual levels. Also, do you have your daughter's LDL and HDL level?

Anyway, as far as medications go, I must defer to having a pediatrician give counsel on that.

Additional Comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

Pediatric endocrinologists and lipid specialists will use lipid lowering agents. The levels of total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides as well as family history play a part in the decision.

Additional comment added 14 Sep 1999
Posted to Other Medications