From Kuwait:

My daughter is 13 years old and was discovered to be diabetic at 8 months. She is now on Mixtard. What is the latest news about:

1. Islet cell transplantation
  2. Any new medicine instead of insulin to be used for such a patient (Diabetes Type 1)
  3. Is it true that the child can eat all kinds of food and I can simply increase the dose for her without any complication?

You can read a lot about your first question regarding islet transplantation by looking at an article about transplantation at this website.

As to the second question, no treatment except insulin is available so far.

To address the third question, what's true is that if your daughter has properly educated by her diabetes team on how to self monitoring and self managing her disease (that is, she's been correctly told on how to adjust her insulin dosage depending on her blood sugar levels fluctuations, what she eats and the amount of exercise she practices) she can eat almost everything and, if doing in the proper way, her metabolic control and body weight doesn't deteriorate, and she should do fine without any major risk of future complications.

For more information about pancreas transplantation, see:

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Research: Cure