Question:

From Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA:

I have a 6 year old in my life that has type 1 and was diagnosed around 2 years old. There are significant people in his life that feed him sugar (candy bars, powdered donuts, etc.) on a daily basis. I am concerned about the long term effects of their actions on his health and am just learning about diabetes myself. Do you know if there are any publications that would address this issue?

batt8027_ou@ionet.net

Answer:

You might want to check out the American Diabetes Association for literature on diabetes. Sugar is not a forbidden food, however it belongs in the smallest part of the Food Guide Pyramid for all of us. Maybe you could always have a nutritious snack waiting for this child when he/she is with you. Leading by example can be very powerful.

JM