From Michigan, USA:

My 13 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes six months ago. He is doing a good job of taking his shots and watching his diet (most of the time). He seems to be having a problem accepting the diabetes in that he doesn't want to talk about it. At our last doctors visit, after we'd talked for 45 minutes, he got real uncomfortable and started changing the subject. He didn't want to discuss it any more. Is this normal behavior? Should I be concerned and seek further help?

Your son's reluctance to discuss his diabetes is normal in my estimation. After all, I'll bet none of his friends have diabetes and he is still absorbing the basic facts himself. Imagine another condition -- say schizophrenia -- for which one must take medication daily, for which there is no cure, and which is not prevalent in one's peer group. It makes sense that "talking about it" would make the patient uncomfortable after a certain point.

However, if you begin to see the symptoms of depression occurring (loss of appetite, withdrawal from activities and friends, crying, hopelessness, helplessness, thoughts of suicide) that is a different matter. Professional help should be sought at that time.

Posted to Behavior