Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

I'm a 29 year black female who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about two months ago. My mother also had Type 2 diabetes. I take 70/30 insulin, 45 units A.M. and 25 units P.M. Why do I feel hunger most of the time? Sometimes I eat too much sugar-free snacks. Is that bad for me?

Answer:

It is a common problem to be hungry when taking insulin as a person with type 2 diabetes. You might want to discuss this with a diabetes team that includes diabetes educators. Diabetes educators, working with your physician, can assist you with learning how to use insulin to cover your meals. You can get rapid acting insulin (Humalog) in a pen that makes it very easy to carry with you to cover meals.

You can find a diabetes educator in your area by call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 800-TEAMUP4.

VV

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2