Question:

From Daytona Beach, Florida, USA:

I am 25 years old and 37 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a week ago. Since I am so close to delivery now, how much good can changing my diet do now? Also, shouldn't an ultrasound be done to check the baby's size?

Answer:

The benefit of the diet now is that it may reduce the chances of neonatal hypoglycemia. By keeping your blood sugar at a more normal level, the baby will produce less excess insulin and hopefully after delivery will not have problems maintaining its blood sugar level. Speak to your doctor about an ultrasound. It may be helpful. However, ultrasound assessment of fetal weight this late in gestation is notoriously inaccurate.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes