Question:

From Texas, USA:

My 13 year old son was having chest pains, excessive thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, headaches, sleepy and tired all the time. Sometimes he couldn't stay awake, he also had purple rings under and around his eyes. Our doctor did a CBC, MonoSpot, CMP, Urinalysis, EKG, and chest x-rays about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everything was fine except his white blood count was low.

The doctor took him off sugar and all the symptoms went away. Yesterday at school my son started the symptoms all over again, along with confusion and hands shaking and shaky feeling on the inside. Does this mean he is diabetic? Could the tests have not picked it up the first time? My doctor said he was concerned about hypoglycemia. If there is a continuing problem with hypoglycemia, does that lead to diabetes?

Answer:

I think that you should discuss these results with your son's doctor. He obviously didn't have diabetes when you first went or you would have the answer. My question (which you should ask your doctor) is, why was he taken off sugar if he was concerned about "hypoglycaemia".

Hypoglycaemia does not usually lead to diabetes.