From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

Are there any special risks to a child born after the mother has developed adult onset diabetes? I'm 27 and just found out that my mother developed diabetes a year or so before I was born (not years after as I had thought). She hasn't taken care of it, and I assume this was the case during her pregnancy with me. Should I be worried?

Additional Comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

From the limited information you've supplied, the risks to either you or to your own children when your mother (children's grandmother) has Type 2 diabetes are not very well known. In general, the genetic risks are present and most often related to obesity plus type 2 diabetes for any relatives. The grandchildren's risks would rise if you also developed diabetes as an adult and presumably also had type 2 diabetes like your mother. Nonspecific risks include obesity, hypertension, high blood lipid levels, hairiness (hirsutism) and a darkening of certain parts of the skin called acanthosis nigricans. General risks of type 2 diabetes are also being from Black, Asian, Native American or Latino families although Caucasians who are obese area also at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes.

Your exposure during your mother's pregnancy probably does not give you or your own children added specific risk except for the general genetic risk you inherit from your mom.

Additional comments added 10 Oct 1999
Posted to Family Planning