Question:

From Michigan, USA:

I recently found out my five year old has Type 1. I would like to go back to college to learn as much as possible in the area of diabetes research in order to devote myself in helping find a cure. I haven't the slightest idea in which courses I should take or where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

I have called local colleges and the have nothing except nursing. Should I begin there? I am more interested in the lab areas.

Answer:

There are several ways to go:

• Study biology or medical technology since both of these majors would lead to lab jobs and diabetes bench or basic research. If you continue to a PhD, you could develop your own diabetes studies.
  • The other avenue is diabetes education and awareness, which is the one I've taken, as I have just received by Masters in Public Health.
  • Study coordination is also an option. It's helpful to have medical assistant skills for screening, clinical followup, etc.
  • There are always opportunities in fundraising and support for diabetes research, as well as legislative advocacy.

Take your pick.

HVS