From Orange Park, Florida, USA:

My son is 12 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago. My question concerns diet. We count carbohydrates and his insulin is based on this (Humalog and NPH twice daily). In an effort to let him be a kid as much as possible, we let him eat as most kids which isn't very healthy not to mention he's fairly finicky. We don't want diabetes to seem unbearable and completely change his life but I want to know if I should be a little more concerned about the types of foods he eats as long as his blood sugar is under control.

I think moving toward healthy eating is a good goal for everyone. If the blood sugars are okay, you are obviously doing a good job of counting the carbohydrates in. I would recommend, however, that you start emphasizing good healthy eating as a lifestyle in your home for everyone. Small changes can make a big difference and if everyone is making a change for a healthier lifestyle, your 12 year old son will not feel singled out.

Start with the Food Guide Pyramid; it gives you a great guideline for the basics of where the carbohydrates should come from. In the meantime, realize that these types of changes are slow and don't try to change too many things at once.