From Perrysburg, Ohio, USA:

I am the mother of a 9 year old boy who has been challenged with insulin dependent diabetes for the past 2 years. My question is regarding the initial diagnosis. Wouldn't this be a good time to profile the children with this disease (say with an extensive questionnaire) to help find common denominators that might contribute to getting this disease? Questions could be regarding vaccines, where the child lives, personality types, etc.?

A lot of this kind of work has been and is being done and it usually also involves taking blood for immune and genetic markers. So far, there is not too much to go on but we are learning more all the time.