From Sioux City, Iowa, USA:

I have recently relocated to Iowa and am changing doctors. Unfortunately there is not an endocrinologist available in this area. When I made an appointment with a Family Practice doctor, they scheduled me for lab work. I was asked to fast for a hemoglobin A1c. At my last physician, for three years, I did not have to fast. Can you tell me why this is important or necessary? I have also been using an insulin pump for approximately 1 year. Is it also important to not take insulin if you are doing a fasting blood test or is that only if you are taking shots?

There is no need to fast for a hemoglobin A1c test. That day's food intake will not change the results. Perhaps they are asking you to fast for a lipid profile?

Is it possible to find an endocrinologist to see on an occasional basis, to be available by phone in between visits? I don't believe that most family practitioners will be knowledgeable in the use of the insulin pump. If you need a referral to an endocrinologist, I would be assertive in obtaining this referral.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Daily Care