Question:

From Hammond, Indiana, USA:

My six year old daughter has been diabetic since the age of two. We have achieved good control, but I would like it to be better. I seem to remember -- somewhere during the blitz of information we got in the hospital -- that there is a certain number of carbs that it covered by a unit of insulin. I have searched through my own information as well as that on the web and can't seem to find the ratio anywhere. Any idea where I can find this out? She is currently using NPH and Humalog.

Answer:

Usually we start with 1 unit of insulin to cover 15 grams of carbohydrate, but this is very individual, and if the patient is on NPH and Regular, can be tricky. The folks I work with who use the insulin to carb ratios are on three shots a day using Regular or Humalog to cover meals and the Ultralente to give them a basal insulin. I would suggest you call your diabetes team to get the information they would like you to use for your particular regimen.

JM

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Insulin