Question:

From Sacramento, California, USA:

My daughter is 9 years old. She was diagnosed with Type 1 slightly over a year ago. In the past year, her blood sugar was good, till last month her blood sugar was from 200 to 400 for a month. The doctor tried to change her insulin. Shes taking NPH and Regular. Also add Humalog for high levels. Will it affect her kidney if it keeps up like that? The doctor is thinking to stop her NPH. Will it affect her blood sugar?

Answer:

It seems pretty clear your daughter is out of the honeymoon and needs more insulin. I'd consider a more intensive schedule, using 3 or 4 shots a day. Discuss this with your daughter's diabetes team.

Posted to Honeymoon