Question:

From Skokie, Illinois, USA:

I read something in the paper about seizure dogs the other day and am now trying to find out more. I know they are for epileptics, but wouldn't it be great if a dog could be trained to alert parents when the child is acting oddly from low blood sugar? This would be especially good at night when you're not even there in the same room with your child. Have you heard of anybody doing this? Do you know of any resources I could call upon?

Answer:

An interesting idea -- I haven't heard of anyone working in this area. Perhaps the Epilepsy Association would be the place to start looking for someone to discuss it with.

[Editor's comment: The only reference on-line that I could find to dogs that help people with seizures is UF researchers investigate phenomenon of seizure-alert dogs from December 1997. JSH]