Question:

From Whittier, California, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for eight years now, and I have a younger brother with the disease as well. I am on an insulin pump now and find it a much more effective delivery modality. My younger brother is still running chronically high blood sugars, whereas I am having HbA1c in the 7's now. Why isn't insulin pump therapy being more aggressively pursued by doctors and insurance companies for their type 1 diabetic patients? I know that surely I am not the only one with this result.

Answer:

Congratulations for successfully managing your diabetes! Sounds like you would like your brother to have the kind of control you do. But you can't manage his. He needs to do it himself.

Experienced diabetes teams are being aggressive with pump therapy and, with the proper request from a physician, insurance companies are paying for them.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps