From Pennsylvania, USA:

I'm 16 years old and, I've had diabetes for awhile. I'm still not under control. I've done nothing right at all and I'm starting to scare myself. So if anyone has some advice that would knock some sense into my head then please let me know.

You should be really proud of yourself for recognizing that you need some help and then asking for it. The most important thing that you can do is to find a diabetes team that you can talk to. You may also want to contact your local ADA, JDF, or AADE chapter, to find a team that works with lots of teenagers.

There are a few things you can do while you wait for that appointment. First, you can ask yourself what the most difficult part of having diabetes is. Is it taking shots? Testing blood sugars? Eating on a schedule? Being nagged by adults? Once you decide what is the most difficult, see if you can find someone in your family to help you with that. Sometimes getting another person involved helps lessen the burden of living with diabetes.

Also, I encourage you to get the book In Control -- A Guide for Teens with Diabetes by Jean Betschart and Susan Thom.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

You might also log into the Chat Rooms here at Children with Diabetes and "talk" with other teens about what they find helpful to cope.

Posted to Social Issues: Community Resources and Behavior