From Niles, Michigan, USA:

My sister has been scheduled for a second ultrasound due to her baby's weight. There has been confusion on the due date from the beginning, however my brother-in-law in a borderline diabetic (he doesn't take anything) so we don't know whether it's a mix-up on how far along she is, or if the baby is a diabetic.

What does this mean for the baby and the pregnancy? Are these kids unhealthy? Do they lead normal lives? Sorry for the ignorance, but I am worried and know nothing.

It sounds like the obstetrician wants to check on the growth of the baby. If your sister is not sure of her last menstrual period or when she conceived then the ultrasound may give a better fix on the gestational age of the baby. However, ultrasound has limitations and the further along the pregnancy, the less accurate the ultrasound examination is in determining gestational age.

Your brother-in-law's medical condition should not affect the health of the baby. The baby is not born diabetic. If the intrauterine growth is appropriate, then the baby should do well.

Posted to Family Planning