Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

My 14 year old son with Type 1 diabetes will be going on a school trip soon. He will be traveling by bus and staying in motels for five days. I am concerned about keeping his insulin cool. In the past when the family was traveling, we would get ice and carry a cooler around all the time, but I am looking for another solution that will be easier for him to manage. Are there any type of cold packs that do not have to be refrozen, since he will not have access to a freezer?

Answer:

The deterioration of his insulin would be extremely minimal over a five day trip, so I would not worry about keeping his insulin cool. You might have him carry his insulin in an insulated container of some sort just so that it doesn't get hotter than room temperature, but extra cooling shouldn't be necessary.

LW