From Ohio, USA:

I'm having difficulty with my toddler going hypoglycemic in the middle of the night. What products are available that would provide a slow release of sugar to help prevent hypoglycemia?

Be sure the bedtime blood sugar is 140 or greater. If it is lower, add carbohydrate to her normal bedtime snack.

There is evidence that uncooked cornstarch breaks down more slowly and can help prevent night time lows. A product by the name of NiteBite is available in most drugstores and comes in several flavors -- chocolate, peanut butter and a new flavor or banana. You might give this a try.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Also, be sure to talk with your diabetes team about perhaps changing insulin doses or timing.

[Editor's comment: There are several specialty foods that are designed to release sugar into the bloodstream over several hours. You can also make your own snacks using uncooked cornstarch, which is the key ingredient for long-acting release of sugar. For example, see P-Balls. JSH]