Question:

I am a 13 year old girl. My dad had extremely bad diabetes. I was wondering if I could have it now. I am always thirsty and sometimes really hungry, and when I don't have any sugar (example: none or just one cookie) in one day or if I have too much sugar (example: cake, ice cream, lollipop, pancakes with syrup, etc.) in one day I usually feel dizzy and weak-like. So, should I go get checked for diabetes or do you think its just something that will pass?

Answer:

I think it's unlikely that you have diabetes but it is very easy to get tested. Your doctor can easily do a urine test to put your fears to rest.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Or, you could ask your dad to help you do a home blood sugar test using his meter, then have him discuss your results with his physician.

WWQ

DTQ-ONCDM19990624