Question:

From Colorado, USA:

I am 51 years old, Type 2, non-insulin dependent, diabetic. I take 2 different pills for control of my diabetes.

I am very interested in the GlucoWatch monitor because of a rare condition: if I receive any venipuncture, it causes an immediate histamine release resulting in acute and dangerous phlebitis. Benadryl [an antihistamine medication], liquid form, used for finger sticks and IV with all blood tests or when IV's are required, in addition use oral Benadryl.

I would like to know if there is any way possible for me to test the monitor or become a volunteer.

Answer:

Clinical trials for the GlucoWatch have been completed and are no longer recruiting volunteers; but the instrument is expected to be available commercially early next year [2000]. In view of your unusual reaction to venipuncture you should perhaps look for a situation where some instruments can be tried initially on loan before you buy one.

Posted to Research: Monitoring