Question:

From Maryland, USA:

My 41 year husband has had type 1 diabetes since he was 13 years old. We are having trouble finding a doctor in our area that specializes in diabetes. Our problem is my husband takes Lente Iletin I (beef-pork) and Regular Iletin I (beef-pork), both of which are being discontinued. What type of insulin would be a compatible substitute for each?

Answer:

Although pure pork is still being made and could be used, it is probably more practical to switch over to human insulin (either Humulin or Novolin). Sometimes human insulin works faster and doesn't last as long as beef-pork insulin, so it is important to first find a doctor to work with and be aware that your doses might change.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

To help locate a new diabetes doc, look at Finding a New Diabetes Doctor.

WWQ