From Massachusetts, USA:

My daughter who is 5 years old was diagnosed 7 months ago with type 1. I was wondering when do children with diabetes get to start using the insulin pump? I thought it was just for adults but I guess I was wrong.

Great question. The answer even just 1-2 years ago would be different than you get today. The potential for an insulin pump to help with diabetes control (a lower hemoglobin A1c) and to prevent low blood sugars, even in a child as young as 5, is significant. Experts are doing studies to determine whether pumps benefit children this young. Recently, a study in Los Angeles showed that children on insulin pumps only part of the time during the day (after school -- through the night and until breakfast the next morning) showed benefits and could handle the "technology" of the pump. Most of these children went on to full-time pump therapy after the study period ended. Children are capable of using an insulin pump even as early as age 5 if there is excellent support from a diabetes team, enthusiastic parents, and a child in favor of insulin pump therapy.

Posted to Insulin Pumps