Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My husband has been a type 1 diabetic for 43 years. He is 52 years old. He has few complications. He is a carpenter and a runner and enjoys riding a bicycle. His glycohemoglobin range is 7.5. He has 3-5 reactions a week; some are severe. I want to know if this is normal. I am aware that everyone is different but this to me is too many. Do others have that many?

Answer:

Judging upon what you report your husband seems to have managed his diabetes quite well so far. Tell him to keep up on exercising as he's doing because this play a very important role in ameliorating blood sugar control over time.

Regarding hypos, I think that 3-5 a week, some severe, are really too many but I'd need to know his insulin regimen in order to advise you on how to possibly decrease the hypo events, especially the severe ones.