From Sherman, Texas, USA:

I have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I was told I failed my 1 hour test, so I had to take the 3 hour test. My numbers were: Fasting 98, 1st hour 212, 2nd hour 190, and the 3rd hour 117. Since then, my obstetrician requires me to take my levels daily twice a day, but since I have been doing so my levels are between 70-126, with 126 being the highest. I have been testing for a week now, I just don't understand why my levels are so normal.

Can you test too early? I was tested at 18 weeks, because of my family history, mother and grandmother being diabetics. I am just so confused, any help would be most appreciated.

You were tested early, but still had two abnormal values on the test. You should be testing before breakfast and 1 hour after each meal. If the before breakfast value is greater than 105 and/or the after meal value is greater than 130, then you may have to start insulin. Otherwise a diet should be adequate to control your blood sugar values.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes