From British Columbia, Canada:

I had gestational diabetes (insulin dependant) with my first pregnancy. I am now just 6 weeks pregnant with my second and my family doctor said it is not a guarantee I will have it again. I am a healthy, 28 year old, active, at my ideal weight and have no history of diabetes in my family (I am also Rh negative.) Are there any steps I can take in prevention? What are the odds the second time around?

You are at increased risk of developing gestational diabetes in a subsequent pregnancy, however I cannot give you specific odds. Many factors influence your risk: weight gain/loss, family history, etc. You may want to resume your diabetic diet and get tested early in the pregnancy (around 16-18 weeks). If this is normal, then you should still be tested at the usual time (24-28 weeks gestation).

Posted to Gestational Diabetes