Question:

From Denver, Colorado, USA:

My 7 week old daughter took part in a study at birth and was found to be a carrier of a diabetes gene marker -- the HLA gene marker was identified as DR3. The study indicated that environmental factors, in addition to the genetic predisposition, were necessary in most cases to bring on diabetes. What environmental factors should I watch for? Since I am breast-feeding, is there anything that I should watch for in my diet or life that will contribute to her developing diabetes?

Answer:

You've asked a Nobel Prize question.

You did this so we all might learn, using your child's experience, what brings on diabetes.

I'd suggest that people in your circumstance should breast feed for at least 6 months. That won't hurt for sure. Also you might avoid uncooked milk. Cheese, yogurt, etc., are okay as sources of calcium, likewise calcium enriched juices. Otherwise it's all a guess in the dark.