Question:

From La Mirada, California, USA:

My 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for about 3.5 years. She is on lispro and Ultralente insulins. She says the Ultralente burns when it is injected by itself. She says it hurts less when the Ultralente is mixed with a few units of lispro (when needed). Is this common?

Answer:

I have a lot of patients who use Ultralente. Only 2 have complained of burning/stinging when first stated on Ultralente and this eventually stopped after a few weeks. I have never heard of lispro blocking the burning/stinging, but this is an interesting observation. I would suggest trying to continue with the Ultralente for a few weeks before giving up.