From Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA:

I am considering the insulin pump. I am 14 and was diagnosed at age 4. I contracted diabetes because the flu virus settled in my pancreas. I must check my sugar four times a day and take three shots a day. Still I am above 300 in blood sugars five times on a weekly basis and am concerned about the risk to my system as an adult, and if I will be able to have kids. My primary reason for wanting the pump is to keep my blood sugar balanced. Is this the best method available for me?

Sounds like you would do well on a pump.

You must understand, however, that even on the insulin pump, you will still have "high" days and occasional lows. There is no perfect therapy yet. In order to succeed on the insulin pump, you must continue to test your blood sugar regularly (at least 4 times per day), be interested in excellent blood sugar control, and have an enthusiastic physician who will work with you closely.

Best wishes for success!

Posted to Insulin Pumps