Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada, USA:

My 18 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes since age 11. Her lifestyle (like many teenagers) consists of many late nights -- everything from a prom to doing homework. She takes lispro before meals and N at bedtime. How should she handle her evening insulin and snack on these occasions?

Answer:

When at home, the evening insulin should be at the usual time, whether or not bedtime is involved.

It is hard to give insulin when away from home? With insulin pens, it isn't hard. I wouldn't be surprised that she already uses a pen for the Humalog. If she doesn't want to take a pen with her when she goes out, then give insulin at home. However, she likely needs a little lispro for that late evening snack.