From Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA:

I was diagnosed with MODY diabetes when I was 16 (I am 26 now), although back then it was called type 1 1/2. The relatives that I know for sure have diabetes (there are more out there) are my great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, uncle and younger brother (24). I currently control my sugars with diet, exercise, Glucophage and Glucotrol [pills usually used for Type 2 diabetes].

I have read that MODY is autosomal dominant. Can you explain this term? What are the changes of my children developing MODY? (I don't have any yet).

MODY is transmitted from one generation to the next. Autosomal dominant means that a person with the gene has a 50/50 chance of transmitting the gene to a child. It doesn't mean one out of two, as some think. Each child has a 50/50 chance. You could have 10 and none get the gene, or 10, and all get the gene.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity