Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed 6 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Is the sugar substitute sorbitol the same sorbitol that is produced in the body? Does it pass through the system, or is it stored? I'm worried about the long time use of this sweetener and the adverse reactions down the road with the nervous system and vision.

Answer:

Sorbitol is primarily converted to glucose in the liver and then stored as liver glycogen. This process provides for a slower release into the blood stream of the sorbitol. Food sorbitol does not enter into the polyol or sorbitol pathway which would produce the effect that you are worried about. As with all sweeteners, I always suggest moderation and the use of a variety of sweeteners. Remember the calories from sorbitol do count.

JM