Question:

From Orange Park, Florida, USA:

My son is 12 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago. My question concerns diet. We count carbohydrates and his insulin is based on this (Humalog and NPH twice daily). In an effort to let him be a kid as much as possible we let him eat as most kids, which isn't very healthy--not to mention he's fairly finicky. We don't want diabetes to seem unbearable and completely change his life, but I want to know if I should be a little more concerned about the types of foods he eats as long as his blood sugar is under control.

Answer:

I suggest that you continue to offer and eat yourselves the foods that you believe are healthy. The Food Guide Pyramid will give you a good guide for the recommendations for healthy eating. Children need to be offered foods even if they don't like them. I agree that the child with diabetes should be allowed to eat the same foods as any other child, but I believe all children should be exposed to good food on a daily basis. If he will not eat vegetables and fruits, you might consider a one a day type vitamin to improve his vitamin intake. You can discuss this with your dietitian or pediatrician.

JM