From Massachusetts, USA:

I am a 17 year old, type 1 diabetic female. I have had friends telling me that it is terrible for a diabetic to drink (alcohol). What is the additional risk to a diabetic, and how might I prepare for it?

I am very impressed that you are asking about this before you try consuming alcohol and run into major problems. Alcohol can lower your blood glucose levels, so be sure to consume a carbohydrate with the alcohol and we suggest no more than 2 drinks (beer, wine, or mixed drinks) at any one time. Hope that helps.