Question:

From America OnLine:

My granddaughter is 15. She was diagnosed at age 8. She has now become a young lady. Every month 3 days prior to her menstrual period, she gets very sick. Throwing up, high sugars and wound up in the hospital with ketoacidosis. Will this happen every month or eventually straighten itself out? I have tried to find information on this but so far found none.

Answer:

I am not sure exactly why your granddaughter is getting sick, unless it is from poor glucose control due to hormonal changes prior to menses. This has the potential to persist. Therefore she may want to see a gynecologist and consider using oral contraceptives to control the hormonal changes that are occurring each month.

DTQ-ONCDMEM19990711
Posted to Family Planning