Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from October 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am 22 and 35 weeks pregnant. I had a glucose test 2 weeks ago which came back at 186 mg/dl but the glucose tolerance test came back normal. I was wondering if I should have a second GTT? (31 Oct 1999)

2. I am keen to continue skydiving following a successful tandem jump but I can find no information or research into the effects of skydiving on diabetes. (31 Oct 1999)

3. I have been doing some web-reading about 'night eating disorder', and wonder if I have it. I have always found breakfast a problem. After years of lying to doctors, or making promises I broke, I just stayed honest: I don't do breakfast as I should. (31 Oct 1999)

4. My husband is a 57-year-old type 2 diabetic. He is taking Cytoxan and prednisone for nephropathy. Should he avoid the flu shot (advised for diabetics) because of being immunosuppressed? (30 Oct 1999)

5. Which is worse: Type 1 or Type 2? I have been told Type 1 is much worse than Type 2. If I have Type 2 should I feel relieved? (29 Oct 1999)

6. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven months ago. Her first A1c was over 11. The second was 6.5. Her most recent was 4.1. This is low. What does this represent? (29 Oct 1999)

7. My husband, who is 25, has type 1 diabetes (onset was at 12 years of age). What are the chances of our children having diabetes? (29 Oct 1999)

8. My 4 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 about four months ago. I recently read an article in a local magazine stating that breastfeeding reduces the risk of diabetes. Is this true? I did not breastfeed my son and am experiencing a tremendous amount of guilt. (29 Oct 1999)

9. My four-year-old daughter was diagnosed two months ago with Type 1 diabetes. When she was one, she contracted Lyme disease and was on the antibiotic regime. Is there any link between Lyme disease and diabetes? (29 Oct 1999)

10. I am 14 years old and have had IDDM for just over a year. Am I able to sleep in to at least 10 A.M. without getting up to have my insulin and breakfast at 8 A.M.? This is sometimes a problem when sleeping at a friend's house. (29 Oct 1999)

11. Although my daughter has not had blood sugar problems at her current age of 6, she is overweight and I would like suggestions on an ADA meal plan to control her weight and hopefully save her some health grief. (29 Oct 1999)

12. I was very concerned about what I read in the article entitled Conventional Versus Intensive Diabetes Therapy in Children with Type 1 Diabetes. Could you please explain what is meant by "Intensive Therapy"? Is this maintaining "tight control"? (28 Oct 1999)

13. My 13 year-old-son, diagnosed 1 year ago, has had positive tests for protein in the urine twice in the past six months. The doctor seems to feel that since he is not spilling protein at night, it is orthostatic and not a concern. I am wondering if I should have a nephrologist evaluate my son. (28 Oct 1999)

14. My 13 year old daughter has been in the honeymoon period for 5 months. Will taking anti-inflammatory medicine such as aspirin or ibuprofen slow down the damage to her islet cells? (28 Oct 1999)

15. My daughter is 5 1/2 and was diagnosed when she was 2. My understanding is that, based on her weight, she should be using an average of 20 units of insulin a day. She doesn't even use 10. Is it possible that she can still be honeymooning after 3 years? (28 Oct 1999)

16. My daughter is 2 months old and is suffering from persistent hypoglycemia. Kindly provide me the details regarding treatment. (28 Oct 1999)

17. Is it true that there is now a law in Pennsylvania that insurance companies are supposed to cover 100% of diabetes supplies? (28 Oct 1999)

18. My son is 12 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one month ago. I'm confused by the blood sugar readings in other letters written to you. I use a meter that states that it measures mmol/l. I'm told that any reading below 3.5 should be treated as a hypo, but his blood sugar rarely goes above 6.0. (28 Oct 1999)

19. Has anyone found a relationship between high ANA [antinuclear antibody, a lab test] in mother and eventual diagnosis (at age 5) of type 1 diabetes in daughter? (27 Oct 1999)

20. My nephew is 20 years old. He was diagnosed at age 3. He is now losing his eyesight rapidly. My nephew is now very depressed and the expectancy for sight is only 5 years. What can we do where can we go for a second opinion? (27 Oct 1999)

21. My father, age 77, is a diabetic which was brought on by his age. The doctor told him that he is having a problem with his kidneys and is ordering all these tests. What is the possible reasons for these tests and the probable diagnosis? (27 Oct 1999)

22. Does Lidocaine Ointment (5%) modify the effect of insulin? (27 Oct 1999)

23. My 3 1/2 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She used to regularly get ear infections for which she took paracetamol. Is there a sugar free paracetamol available that she can take without affecting her diabetes? (27 Oct 1999)

24. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 2 months ago and I'm now following the exchanges diet. Can non-carbohydrate exchanges be moved around during the course of a day? (27 Oct 1999)

25. My son, age 13, has just had a physical at our doctor's office and a trace of ketones was found in his urine sample. What does this mean? (27 Oct 1999)

26. I will be 53 years old in October. I was told by a hospital doctor that my blood sugar was high and I had diabetes. However, my GP said that I may be on the borderline and wouldn't say that I have diabetes. Who can I believe? (27 Oct 1999)

27. My 14 year old son has been Type 1 diabetic for 3 1/2 years now. He is very good at following all the advice of his doctor, except when it comes to eating more vegetables and drinking more milk. Is there a multi-vitamin or a particular single vitamin he can take? (27 Oct 1999)

28. I'm pregnant, about two weeks along. The father of the baby was diagnosed at age 4 with diabetes. His pancreas completely stopped working. Will the baby end up being diabetic? (27 Oct 1999)

29. I'm 22 years old and have been self-administering insulin for bodybuilding purposes. I went into hypoglycemia 4 times within 2 weeks. On the second occurrence, my hand went kind of numb. The 4th occurrence yielded an even greater numbness. Is this atherosclerosis or nerve damage? (26 Oct 1999)

30. About a year and a half ago I made an inquiry concerning whether or not there had been any studies regarding differences in African American Children with type 1 diabetes. Do you have more information? (26 Oct 1999)

31. My son was born 4 pounds, 4 ounces, with IUGR [intrauterine growth retardation], etiology unknown and had hyperglycemia at 2 days. I am wondering if this is common and what should be done to follow up with this diagnosis. (26 Oct 1999)

32. I am middle-aged female, and I have had Type 2 diabetes since I was 12 years old. Every time I start doing exercises and walking I have a skin allergy. I don't know what to do. (26 Oct 1999)

33. What are the effects of taking too much insulin? And if one did, what is the best way to rid it? (26 Oct 1999)

34. My five year old son has Downs syndrome and has also had diabetes since the age of eight months old. There is no history of diabetes in the family. Do you think that the Downs has something to do with him getting diabetes? (26 Oct 1999)

35. My 7.5 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since he was 5. Now he is learning how to give himself injections, but is having problems with insulin coming out after he pulls out the syringe from the injection site. Do you have any suggestions? (26 Oct 1999)

36. My son, age 14, has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He is not taking the time to eat his mid-morning snack at school, thus has a low blood sugar count when he comes home for lunch, between 50-70. (26 Oct 1999)

37. I'm 12 years old. Three years ago my doctor found out that I have high blood sugar. My pediatric endocrinologist told me to take medication called Prandin. My parents told me not to take the medication right know before asking the Diabetes Team. (26 Oct 1999)

38. My 18-year-old daughter has gained weight over the past year. The new doctor thinks it's the Ultralente at high levels making her gain the weight. Could he be right? She really like the freedom the Ultralente gives her (instead of NPH and having to eat at regular times). (26 Oct 1999)

39. Any tips and suggestions or ideas on Halloween and trick or treating? (24 Oct 1999)

40. Does drinking soft drinks affect healthy people? Can it cause diabetes? (24 Oct 1999)

41. My 17 year old niece has type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed when she was 10. I don't think she has ever gone any length of time when she was completely under control. Yesterday morning she woke up and was 597 and has ketones is her urine. This morning she was 26 when she got up. (24 Oct 1999)

42. My son felt ill during the first hour of a fair we attended. I took him to the paramedics and they said they should check his blood sugar level. His blood sugar was 266! The next day we went to the doctor and he registered 240. They said he was diabetic. (24 Oct 1999)

43. Is there any realtionship between diabetes and splitting fingernails? (24 Oct 1999)

44. I am a 40 year old female. I've had diabetes since I was seven. I admit to still hating needles and have recently acquired a Medi-Jector Choice for needle free injections. Can this pressurized injector cause me to slip into such low blood sugars? (24 Oct 1999)

45. I am currently taking 120 units of Mixtard 30 in the morning and again before dinner. Is this considered a lot? My GP seems to think so but he cannot get an answer from the Diabetic Clinic here. (24 Oct 1999)

46. I am 28 years old who was just diagnosed with diabetes. My wife is 8 months pregnant. She has it in her family too. Once our baby is born, at what age(s) and how often should we have our child checked for diabetes? (24 Oct 1999)

47. I have a 5-year-old son. He is starting kindergarten this year. He will be in school all day, and will eat lunch there. Do the school lunches meet the nutritional requirements of 5 to 6 carbohydrates? (24 Oct 1999)

48. My 7 year old daughter has Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 2 years ago. I also have a 2 year old son. At random, we checked my son's blood sugar one evening before supper and were extremely alarmed to have his reading be 286. (24 Oct 1999)

49. I'm 13 years old and have had diabetes 1 for 10 years. I have always had it under control, but the last few months it's been really hard to control it. What is the problem and what can I do to prevent it? (24 Oct 1999)

50. What are the specific protocols for treating severe low blood sugar episodes using a glucagon emergency kit when my teenager is in the back country far away from medical help? (23 Oct 1999)

51. I'm concerned about an answer previously given, and I quote, "Excessive sweating at night is not a symptom of diabetes". Since when? I've been a diabetic for many years. Excessive sweating is one of the most annoying symptoms of diabetes. (23 Oct 1999)

52. My 11 year old daughter could be going through puberty. She was diagnosed at the age of 6 years. In the past 2 year she has gone through a dramatic change in her ability to tell when she is low (very low) this has caused us much concern. (23 Oct 1999)

53. I have a 15 year old son who has had very strong breath odor for a couple of weeks. Yesterday an EMT friend told me that this could possibly be diabetes. Is this a possibility? (23 Oct 1999)

54. My son was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when he was 10 months old. At that time, the endocrinologist said it was very rare and only two other children in the world besides my son had it. (23 Oct 1999)

55. Last week we were told my son has Ketotic Hypoglycemia. He is 5 years old and starts kindergarten this year. Does Hypoglycemia fall under the category of diabetes when it comes to federal laws, section 504 and IDEA? (23 Oct 1999)

56. My 13 year old daughter is a type 1 diabetic. She loves apple juice, however, it seems as though apple is the only fruit flavor unavailable in low-sugar or preferably sugar-free beverages, syrups, etc. Can anyone offer any information on a source? (23 Oct 1999)

57. Is diabetes a disease that is considered a disability? If it is, where would a diabetic look to research and become aware of the protection afforded one with a disability as such? (23 Oct 1999)

58. My 11 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for two years. Over the past year I've noticed days where his blood sugars elevate for no apparent reason. My diabetes team tells me this "just happens." Another diabetes educator agrees with me that these are likely related to growth hormone spurts. (23 Oct 1999)

59. My son (age 9, diagnosed Type 1 10 months ago at age 8) is on the heavy side (5 feet; 125 pounds) and would like to lose weight. Since we started, he has been running low (not often too terribly low, but below his target) before lunch. (23 Oct 1999)

60. What are acceptable daily grams of sugar and carbohydrates for a 58 year old female with blood test count of 131? My doctor said I should start watching my diet before I become diabetic. (19 Oct 1999)

61. Our 15 month old son often wakes up in a "terrible mood" with constant screaming, he throws himself on the ground and won't walk. My wife has type 1 diabetes, so during on of his fits, we tested his blood sugar. He was 43. (19 Oct 1999)

62. Our son, age 11, was diagnosed Type 1 one week ago. We are trying to plan a backpack-camping trip. Do you have any tips or recommendations? (19 Oct 1999)

63. I am 15 and have had diabetes for two years. For the first year my diabetes control was not at all bad but for the last year it has been literally terrible and I am very worried about kidney disease. Is there any chance I could get this disease already at my age? (19 Oct 1999)

64. I weigh 260 and was diagnosed several months ago with Type 2. I am on Amaryl for the diabetes, and Maxzide which I am told that can raise the number in the morning. I can't seem to stick to the diet. What do I do? I am so depressed over this thing. (19 Oct 1999)

65. I am presently counseling a 14 year old who has type 1 diabetes and is using drugs and alcohol. I am in need of information on the physical effects of drug and alcohol use on individuals with type 1 diabetes. (19 Oct 1999)

66. Are there any other types of glucose log/dairies available other than the ones issued by the manufactures or the drug companies? (19 Oct 1999)

67. Dr. David Classen linked Hepatitis B Vaccine to the onset of type 1 diabetes. My son at 12 years old was given his last hepatitis B shot. Four months later he was diagnosed. Have you heard of this? (19 Oct 1999)

68. My five-year-old was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost a year ago. Since then, I've gotten more and more lenient about what he eats, when and how much. His A1c's have been great - maximum of 6.1. Is the only number that really truly counts when judging control? (19 Oct 1999)

69. My 9 1/2-year-old niece was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 7. She has begun having seizures at night, and her readings fluctuate from 39 to 450 or so. Her doctor averages her readings. Isn't she getting organ damage every time her blood sugar is way off? (19 Oct 1999)

70. My son (20 years old) was diagnosed last year with type 1. He won't have his eyes checked. I make appointments -- he won't keep them. He won't listen to me. I can't help him -- he has shut me out. Do I just sit back and let him do this himself? (19 Oct 1999)

71. My 7 year old son was just diagnosed with diabetes, and I was reading about concerns about cuts and feet. Is there anything special I should do in regard to ordinary cuts or with his feet? (19 Oct 1999)

72. My friend is the mother of a 4 year old child with Downs syndrome and diabetes. His numbers are all over the place. This mother's only other option is to take her son to a clinic in Boston. Can you recommend anything? (19 Oct 1999)

73. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed seven months ago. Her first A1c was over 11. The second was 6.5. Her most recent was 4.1. This is low. What does this represent? (17 Oct 1999)

74. My 15 year old son was diagnosed about 8 months ago. We have wondering if eating fruit alone for a snack, e.g., grapes or mangoes, can cause a big spike in his blood sugars. (17 Oct 1999)

75. I come from a family with a history of type 2 diabetes (uncle, dad, aunt). I'm 21 years old. I just had my blood sugar checked and it showed 160. I just want to ask if my blood sugar is alright. (17 Oct 1999)

76. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes less than a month ago. After about 2 weeks on insulin, she entered her honeymoon phase. Is this normal? (15 Oct 1999)

77. Please suggest methods for adjusting insulin/food when we make a 6 hour time change during vacation. My daughter is type 1, 9 years old and diagnosed 5 months ago. (13 Oct 1999)

78. Our 11 year old daughter was recently diagnosed (3 weeks ago) with Type 1 diabetes. She had glucose level of 310. Is there a chance that she could have been misdiagnosed? (13 Oct 1999)

79. I'm a 17 year old boy and I have diabetes for only one month. It's all new for me. What I would like to know is the thing about diabetes and alcohol. In Belgium we are permitted to drink alcohol. (13 Oct 1999)

80. My son is 2 years old. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. I would like to know if oral hypoglycemic medications are a possible treatment for his diabetes when his blood sugar reading before a meal is normal. (13 Oct 1999)

81. I have a 5 year old who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 10 months ago. I give her 100 mg alpha lipoic acid in the a.m. and Bittermelon 200 mg in the p.m. Are there any side effects that I should be concerned about? (13 Oct 1999)

82. I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 pregnancies. When I assessed my risk of developing Type 2 diabetes on the ADA website, the fact that I had a baby over 9 pounds raised my risk. How does having a large baby increase your risk of diabetes later in life? (13 Oct 1999)

83. I am a 29 year old woman with Type 1 diabetes for 13 years. My internist felt that the insulin pump would be ideal for me and so I began using one. My control improved; however, I began developing severe abscesses at the infusion site requiring incision and drainage. (13 Oct 1999)

84. What do you know about an outpatient cell transplant operation being tried recently? It was on our local news, in Seattle. (13 Oct 1999)

85. My son is 3.5, diagnosed at 2 years old. Sometimes healthcare professionals ask how our son is doing, I tell them and they always give us a "look" or a "tone" as if they know something we don't? Is the outcome for a child good with diabetes, or am I fooling myself? (11 Oct 1999)

86. What is the difference between Humulin NPH and NPH Iletin I? (11 Oct 1999)

87. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 9 months old. He is now 17 months and I am having trouble getting him to eat and counting carbs. How do I count carbs when I can give him 45g for breakfast and he gets half of it in his hair and in his diaper and on the floor? (11 Oct 1999)

88. I always thought that if you are a diabetic that you should try not to eat a lot of starches. Is this true? (11 Oct 1999)

89. I am 26 year old with Type 1 for four months. I have been keeping tight control of my diabetes so far. Assuming I can keep the same control for the rest of my life, what are the odds of developing severe complications? (11 Oct 1999)

90. I am in good control and just started my first year at a well-known private university. I was told that they would be glad to give me food for the time when the cafeteria is closed, since I am paying for a very expensive meal plan already, but when I went to get my "medical pass", I was told that they weren't going to help me. (10 Oct 1999)

91. Can diabetes effect a child's height? (10 Oct 1999)

92. I'm a 42 year old black male with type 2 diabetes. I'm currently using a 70/30 insulin premix. Is there a formula (i.e., a sliding scale) to calculate the units of insulin required to counteract a given blood glucose level when blood glucose is checked periodically? (10 Oct 1999)

93. My son was diagnosed six months ago at age 12. I'm reluctant to let him out of my sight now. Just when he seems to be interested in spending time with friends (including overnights), I've become this very overly protective mom. Is it unreasonable for me to expect his friends to visit him only at his house where I can monitor his blood sugar? (10 Oct 1999)

94. My son is 10 years old and was diagnosed five months ago. Recently he has had some high readings. I discussed this with his doctor and he adjusted his insulin. My ex-husband disagreed with the changes. Am I harming my son by giving him the additional insulin or could my ex be harming him by not giving him the additional insulin? (10 Oct 1999)

95. My daughter was referred to a pediatric endocrinologist because her regular doctor found sugar in her urine and also high blood sugar level at a recent sick visit. The specialist ran several blood tests and had us monitor her blood sugar for several days. She had a few high readings, but the doctor said that all of the lab reports indicate that she does not have diabetes at this time. (10 Oct 1999)

96. My 13 year old daughter has had a rapid weight gain of almost 100 pounds over the past 4 years. There is a strong family history of type 2 diabetes with the majority of the females on the paternal side of the family being extremely obese. Should I have her evaluated by an endocrinologist? (10 Oct 1999)

97. I am a newly diagnosed type 1 who has been able to be off of insulin shots for 3 months after having taken insulin for a year. Knowing that I had functioning beta cells left, I started a lower-carbohydrate diet to ease the strain on my existing cells. Within 2 days I was able to go off of insulin completely. (10 Oct 1999)

98. Almost 2 years ago my 12 year old niece died through acidotic poisoning. Is this to do with diabetic ketoacidosis? (10 Oct 1999)

99. My 5 year old son was just diagnosed with Ketotic Hypoglycemia. All of the information I have found suggests that children with Ketotic Hypoglycemia are not eating enough and that this is what makes their blood sugar drop. I know he will get less food at school then he has been getting at home. Should I worry about this? (10 Oct 1999)

100. I am wondering if there is an average life expectancy for an otherwise healthy type 1 diabetic patient. (9 Oct 1999)

101. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 15 years old. I was wondering if exposure to Dioxin could have caused the positive test when I was young? (9 Oct 1999)

102. I have a 5 year old, African American who has Acanthosis Nigricans and insulin resistance. Does this mean she will get Type 2 diabetes and is there anything I can do to prevent the possibility? (9 Oct 1999)

103. My six year old niece has had Juvenile Diabetes since age two. On occasion she has fits with extreme anger and self abuse. Could these fits be linked to a chemical imbalance due to the diabetes? (7 Oct 1999)

104. I would like to know what effect potassium has on NPH insulin if any. And can a thiazide (water pill) raise your blood sugar when taking insulin? (7 Oct 1999)

105. Is it possible for non-diabetic people with anorexia or those in a famine to develop any kind of ketoacidosis? (7 Oct 1999)

106. Why does is feel like my body wants to shut down someday? My sugar levels are real high or real low. (7 Oct 1999)

107. A close friend's 12 month old son has been recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She and her husband both work full time out of financial necessity. Are there any child care facilities available that would be equipped to handle an insulin dependent toddler? (7 Oct 1999)

108. Why do you have to stay on schedule with eating and taking your shot? (7 Oct 1999)

109. My friend says eating a lot of sweets can give you diabetes and I say this is not true; but that being overweight can often lead to diabetes. Who is correct? (7 Oct 1999)

110. I have a 5 year old with type 1. Every so often, she will tell me her heart is beeping. When I feel her chest her heart is just pounding. Is this associated with diabetes or is it something else? (7 Oct 1999)

111. I am 28 and a type 2 diabetic. I am planning to become pregnant and I want to know if my glucose levels need to be in the normal range or the "pregnancy range" while I am trying to conceive. (7 Oct 1999)

112. My daughter is 18 and has Type 1 diabetes. She has been noncompliant with this disease. We recently switched her doctor to an adult endocrinologist. He is very unhappy with her A1c which is 12. He wants to put her Avandia to see if her body will react to the insulin better. (7 Oct 1999)

113. Today my son saw the doctor for thrush and to treat some of his allergies. He is three years old. The doctor said that most kids this age with thrush are developing diabetes. He said watch to make sure he is not drinking a lot and peeing a lot. My question what is a lot? (5 Oct 1999)

114. My 11-year-old son was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He is having a very difficult time with the finger pricking. (5 Oct 1999)

115. My son has had 4 major hypoglycemic reactions in the last 6 months. Although he monitors frequently, he is still presenting these life-threatening situations. We understand there is a "GlucoWatch" waiting approval from FDA. My need is now, and desperate. (5 Oct 1999)

116. I am 16 years old and have had diabetes for two years. My problem is that I have low blood sugar from 11:00 to 12:00 and high blood sugar in the evening. (4 Oct 1999)

117. My son has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 years. He is 7 years old right now. Is there any kind of medicine or different type of insulin in order to stabilize his blood sugar readings? Is there a new device to measure the blood sugar without punching the fingers? (4 Oct 1999)

118. My sister's 8 year old son has sugar in his urine but no sign of sugar in his blood. The doctors have been doing tests but don't know what's wrong. Do you think the sugar in his urine is normal? (2 Oct 1999)

119. My grandmother and father have diabetes. Also the father of my to be wife has diabetes. Does this family history of diabetes in my family and my to-be wife's family can mean a higher risk of diabetes in our children? (2 Oct 1999)

120. I'm a type 2 diabetic and currently taking an oral medication. I've just discovered that I'm 2 weeks pregnant and I have read and researched that major birth defects on a developing fetus can be very harmful within the 1st month of pregnancy while on oral medications. (2 Oct 1999)

121. My 40 year sister has had type 1 diabetes for 37 years. At the time she was diagnosed our local pediatrician worked closely with a nationally-known Clinic concerning management of her care. Do large centers provide consultations to adults? (2 Oct 1999)

122. My brother is 13 years old and was diagnosed type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. Except for high sugar level, he doesn't have any symptoms of having diabetes. Is this a common thing at that period? (2 Oct 1999)

123. I am 42 years old. I was having Type 2 symptoms. After a sharp sudden rise, then lowering to normal levels (between 90-110 random or fasting), do you think it is cured by a great diet and exercise? (2 Oct 1999)

124. My son is 11 years old. He has been diabetic for almost 3 years. I was wondering if there are any natural remedies to help control his blood sugar levels. (2 Oct 1999)

125. I have a student who hates being a type 1 diabetic. She has decided to try a diet that her mother is on because it promises to "cure" diabetes. My concern is that her blood sugar level for the past 4 months has been extremely irregular. (2 Oct 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts