Question:

I am 16 years old and have had diabetes for two years. I am on insulin. My daily intakes are: Morning: 34N, 2R Evening: 12N, 10R.

My problem is that I have low blood sugar from 11:00 to 12:00 and high blood sugar in the evening. What should I do?

Answer:

You are already on a very low dose of R in the morning. This is a bit unusual and suggests that you are not eating a breakfast with enough carbohydrate. Also, on a twice daily insulin regimen, you need to take a mid morning snack of at least 20g of carbohydrate. You should take your blood sugar records to your diabetes team and discuss. It may be an appropriate time for you to consider a multiple injection regimen which could offer you more flexibility in terms of eating and activity.