Question:

From Indiana, USA:

I am 28 and a type 2 diabetic. I am planning to become pregnant and I want to know if my glucose levels need to be in the normal range or the "pregnancy range" while I am trying to conceive. This will determine whether I have to use insulin or just diet and exercise until I get pregnant.

Answer:

For the best possible outcome in a pregnancy, you should try and have your blood sugar levels in the normal range prior to conception and during the pregnancy as well. I recommend the fasting blood sugar be less than 100 mg/dl and the one hour post meal less than 130 mg/dl. Also you should be taking extra folic acid before you conceive. The amount in a standard prenatal vitamin should be adequate. This is to reduce the risk of neural tube defects.

Posted to Family Planning