Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I have a 5 year old with type 1. She has had diabetes since she was two. Every so often, she will tell me her heart is beeping. When I feel her chest her heart is just pounding. Is this associated with diabetes or is it something else? So far all I have been told is her heart beat seems to be fine but it never happens in the doctor's office.

Answer:

Make sure you discuss this with her doctor for evaluation. With respect to diabetes in a child, a fast heartbeat or feeling of palpitations could possibly be from a low blood glucose or rapid drop in the blood glucose level.

LM