From Provo, Utah, USA:

I am 18 and have had Type 1 for 5 years. I am in good control and just started my first year at a well-known private university. I was told that they would be glad to give me food for the time when the cafeteria is closed, since I am paying for a very expensive meal plan already, but when I went to get my "medical pass", I was told that they weren't going to help me out, that I was irresponsible because I got low and needed food in the evenings, and that I would have to buy my own groceries. My parents and I thought this was fishy and unprofessional and tried to get things to work out. Now I just buy my own groceries and the meal plan and live with it, but it seems so ridiculous. Is there anything legal involved with this concerning the Americans with Disabilities Act?

I'm not sure. Lately, there have been some bad rulings regarding that Act. I would go to head of your health service and talk to the doctor there with a letter from your diabetes team. The other alternative is to get a small fridge and keep food in your room. Most college students do that.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare