Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

I have a friend with diabetes.

I always thought that if you are a diabetic that you should try not to eat a lot of starches. Is this true? I need any information that you have on starches and diabetes.

Answer:

You are correct that all carbohydrates (starches and sugars) were limited in the meal plans for those with diabetes, until about 15-20 years ago. Then the meal plans were limited in sugars but starches (such as in cereals, breads, and starchy vegetables) were encouraged. Now however, the meal plan is liberal in starches and allows sugars to be worked in to the meal plan also. It has been found that if carbohydrates are limited, more protein and fats are eaten and this was shown to result in a higher rate of heart disease among those with diabetes. There is also greater compliance with a meal plan that is more like the eating style of the general population.

LSF

DTQ-ONCDMEM19990813