From Manitoba, Canada:

My son is 3.5, diagnosed at 2 years old. We have been dealing very well with his Type 1 diabetes and usually feel pretty good about our decisions and management dilemmas as they come up. What I find though is that sometimes healthcare professionals ask how our son is doing, I tell them and they always give us a "look" or a "tone" as if they know something we don't? Is the outcome for a child good with diabetes, or am I fooling myself?

The outcome for children with diabetes is better than it has ever been. This is true, in part, because of the findings of the DCCT (you may wish to read about this study). It is also true because of the improved accuracy and ease of blood sugar testing and the variety of insulins that are available. If you feel you are doing well in caring for your son, that's wonderful and you should take pride in that. If you wish to read more about raising a child with diabetes, you may wish to read two books that are published through the American Diabetes Association: The ten keys to helping your child grow up with diabetes by Tim Wysocki, and Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin.