Question:

From Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA:

I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 pregnancies (babies born 3 and 1 years ago). My eldest child (born 16 years ago) weighed over 9 pounds at birth. When I assessed my risk of developing Type 2 diabetes on the ADA website, the fact that I had a baby over 9 pounds raised my risk. How does having a large baby increase your risk of diabetes later in life?

Answer:

You had a large baby due to the gestational diabetes. It is because of the gestational diabetes that you are at risk of developing future diabetes. However, you should speak with your physician about ways to reduce your risk (diet, exercise).

Posted to Gestational Diabetes