Question:

From Belgium:

I'm a 17 year old boy and I have diabetes for only one month. It's all new for me. What I would like to know is the thing about diabetes and alcohol. In Belgium we are permitted to drink alcohol.

Answer:

The main thing that is required here is common sense. Alcohol is okay in diabetes provided you take some sensible precautions. Be aware that alcohol can impair your body's ability to respond to hypoglycaemia so you need to eat before during and after drinking -- i.e. regular small snacks. Make sure that someone with you knows you've got diabetes and what to do if you have a hypo. Always carry I.D. which states you have diabetes -- the effects of hypos and alcohol can look very similar to the police! Eat before going to bed. Don't get too drunk. Oh, and finally, enjoy yourself.