Question:

From Oregon, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes less than a month ago. After about 2 weeks on insulin, she entered her honeymoon phase. Is this normal? She has been overweight for a long time. He father became type 1 at age 25. Could she have the "adult onset" type of diabetes? How could we test? She seems to be doing very well without any insulin, just watching what she eats, she is also beginning an exercise program.

She started this honeymoon phase directly following a very severe "flu". She was having such bad stomach pain I thought she was having appendicitis. Right after that, she needed less insulin, until after several days, she has needed none.

Answer:

Well, it's possible but the honeymoon phase normally starts around two weeks. Only time will tell. There's no specific test that can be done although "autoantibody tests" may help. The important thing is to watch her sugars and wait. Persevere with the exercise programme.

Posted to Honeymoon